Whose movie is it anyway?
Lidove noviny film editor Darina Křivánková says good riddance to the Czech films of 2005. She points out that a record 22 films will be competing for the 2005 Czech Lions, the Czech equivalent of the Oscars, but that most of them stink -- including some produced with the help of the state fund for the development and support of Czech cinematography.
Unfortunately, Křivánková writes, 2006 isn't off to a better start, judging by two new releases this month: Ještě žiju s věšákem, plácačkou a čepicí ('Still Living', opened 5 January) and Jak se krotí krokodýli ('How to Ride Crocodiles', opens 12 January). 'Still Living' was produced by public broadcaster Česká televize, which received support from the state fund for the project. 'Crocodiles' was produced by private broadcaster TV Nova, savings bank Poštovní spořitelna and energy utility RWE Transgas, among others. It's one thing if private investors like Nova want to help produce crap films, Křivánková writes, but it's quite another to spend public funds on them.
quality hearsay and arduous speculation from the former austro-hungary & thereabouts
- Name: Theo
By Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell ... offers his account of this sort of seemingly instantaneous judgment. ... The book features the fascinating case studies, skilled interweavings of psychological experiments and explanations and unexpected connections among disparate phenomenon that are Gladwell's impressive trademark.
- Howard Gardner, The Washington Post
- Screen Daily
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Arts & Letters Daily
- Google News
- The New Yorker
- The Prague Daily Monitor
- Boot Liquor Radio
- The Chett Stream
- Classic Heartland
- The Connected Traveler
- Indy Pop Rocks
- A Prairie Home Companion
- Radio Loveless
- Radio Free Tamizdat
- This American Life
- Word Jazz
- Kapa ga nossa? I'm starting to think some of the ...
- Mic check One two one two. This thing on?
- Brilliant William Shattner has a new album, Has...
- Hotter than a pile of bloated corpses From the ...
- You're overpaid The Times (of London) reported ...
- PF2005 I'm heading out of town to spend the hol...
- That's no dragon, that's my wife Those who are ...
- Oh, this is a good idea¡
- Dude So like I heard this dude was on the radio...
- Do I have to smack you? I was relieved to read ...