More bang for your crown
ČTK and ČT1 reported yesterday on the release of the National Report on the Control of Arms Exports. (The Foreign Ministry posts the report here, god love ’em.)
Representatives of Amnesty International and Transparency International pointed out that the country violates EU codes by exporting weapons to human rights abusers. ČTK has Barbora Pechotova of TI singling out Colombia, Georgia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka; ČT1 draws attention to Czech arms exports to Algeria, Columbia, Congo, Indonesia and, erm, Israel. Deputy Foreign Minister Jan Winkler said that the arms export process is thoroughly vetted, but that was really hard – like math is hard – to make sure more-or-less legitimate buyers in, say, Colombia don’t turn around and sell the guns to, say, paramilitaries.
The Czech Republic used to export more military material than it imported, but that changed in 1999 – the year the country joined NATO and started kicking tires on (sing along with Nena) super high-tech jet fighters. In 1993, the Czechs imported EUR 37 million in material; last year, they imported more than EUR 120 million.
In 2003, the Czechs sold EUR 82.9 million worth of bang – mainly light arms like the Skorpion. ČTK says the countries interested in such weapons include Bulgaria, Indonesia, and 'Arab and Latin American countries'.
quality hearsay and arduous speculation from the former austro-hungary & thereabouts
- Name: Theo
By Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell ... offers his account of this sort of seemingly instantaneous judgment. ... The book features the fascinating case studies, skilled interweavings of psychological experiments and explanations and unexpected connections among disparate phenomenon that are Gladwell's impressive trademark.
- Howard Gardner, The Washington Post
- Screen Daily
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Arts & Letters Daily
- Google News
- The New Yorker
- The Prague Daily Monitor
- Boot Liquor Radio
- The Chett Stream
- Classic Heartland
- The Connected Traveler
- Indy Pop Rocks
- A Prairie Home Companion
- Radio Loveless
- Radio Free Tamizdat
- This American Life
- Word Jazz
- Terrorism, my eye You know how you like to frea...
- Yes, but you're not authentically wasted As a s...
- Ah, to je svoboda! I recently had my bedroom fl...
- It’s not just the economy, stupid Give a listen...
- Go Ukraine I'm more optimistic about Ukraine's ...
- Gone huntin' Getting back to my red-state roots...
- Faith-based humility Earlier today, I noticed t...
- There are five important things about getting on T...
- The baby and the Baath water Jon Lee Anderson w...
- I'm so sorry "It's rare that a successful apolo...