Kraslice seeks to revive traditional cinema
The Karlovy Vary issue of Právo reports today that the Kraslice city hall has begun looking for someone to take over the town's recently closed cinema. The city is now in discussion with a firm that is trying to revive traditional 'biograf' cinemas in smaller towns. Here's the full Czech text of the article as posted on the UFD site.
Právo doesn't name the firm or give details about the closed cinema. The report does indicate that it was city hall that formerly ran the cinema, but that they gave up because it was losing too much money. Presumably the cinema was in the town's culture center.
Films could be screened in Kraslice's culture center on the puppet stage. Another solution could be digital screenings. These would help Kraslice get new films sooner, according to Kraslice mayor Lubomír Zach. The city would first have to buy new digital equipment, which would run about CZK 500,000.
There have been a slew of stories in the press lately about the plight of small cinemas facing competition from multiplexes. I'll post more of them here as time allows.
quality hearsay and arduous speculation from the former austro-hungary & thereabouts
- Name: Theo
By Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell ... offers his account of this sort of seemingly instantaneous judgment. ... The book features the fascinating case studies, skilled interweavings of psychological experiments and explanations and unexpected connections among disparate phenomenon that are Gladwell's impressive trademark.
- Howard Gardner, The Washington Post
- Screen Daily
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Arts & Letters Daily
- Google News
- The New Yorker
- The Prague Daily Monitor
- Boot Liquor Radio
- The Chett Stream
- Classic Heartland
- The Connected Traveler
- Indy Pop Rocks
- A Prairie Home Companion
- Radio Loveless
- Radio Free Tamizdat
- This American Life
- Word Jazz
- Just Like That Saw The Chronicles of Narnia: The ...
- Whose movie is it anyway? Lidove noviny film edit...
- Kapa ga nossa? I'm starting to think some of the ...
- Mic check One two one two. This thing on?
- Brilliant William Shattner has a new album, Has...
- Hotter than a pile of bloated corpses From the ...
- You're overpaid The Times (of London) reported ...
- PF2005 I'm heading out of town to spend the hol...
- That's no dragon, that's my wife Those who are ...
- Oh, this is a good idea¡